Following are some tips for maintaining a safe home for seniors.
- Install handrails on both sides of stairs and steps – ensure the handrails go all the way from the top to the bottom of the stairs
- Install adequate lighting at both the top and bottom of stairs with easy to reach switches
- Use a double-sided tape to adhere unsecured rugs and carpets to the floor, or remove them completely
- Keep stairs free of clutter, including toys
- Use nightlights in bedrooms, hallways and bathrooms
- Install grab bars and non-slip strips in the shower and bathtub, or always use a bath mat
- Clean all spills from floors right away