Commissionaires perform criminal record checks (also referred to as police checks, police certificates, CRC's, criminal background checks and police clearances) for:
- Employment – security clearance, controlled goods, pre-employment screening
- Citizenship, Permanent Resident & Immigration applicants
- Visa applicants
- Adoption applicants
- Security guard license
- Medical marijuana licensed producer
Criminal record checks can be done using either name and date of birth or by fingerprints. In order to obtain a certified record check, fingerprint submission is required. When a name and date of birth check matches another individual, fingerprints will be required to verify your identity.
Two criminal record check options are available
(Note – this is not for vulnerable sector checks)
Option 1: Online Electronic Criminal Record Checks
Start your electronic Criminal Record Check (CRC).
- Click on the link above to start your criminal record check. You will be asked to submit the information required and pay via credit card or PayPal. To verify your identity, Electronic ID Verification (eIV) will ask you specific questions about your credit history. Click here to read more about eIV.
- If you have no criminal record, it generally takes 1 hour to process your criminal record check. Once processed, you will receive your results by email.
Processing time for online for electronic criminal record checks:
Criminal record checks using name and date of birth are processed within the hour between 8am and 8pm EST Monday to Friday, excluding holidays.
This process is intended for persons living and working in Canada. If you are currently living outside of Canada please confirm if you require a name and date of birth based record check or an RCMP certified fingerprint based record check. CRC is a name and date of birth check only. If you require a fingerprint-based criminal record check while you are living overseas please contact us.
Option 2: Visit one of our offices
1. Find the nearest office
2. What identification you need to bring with you:
Applicants should bring two pieces of valid government issued identification. One must be a photo ID. (Please check with your local Commissionaires office for additional types of identification that may be accepted.) The following types of identification are accepted.
- Driver's License
- Birth Certificate
- Canadian Citizenship Card
- Permanent Resident Card
- Certificate of Indian Status
- Immigration documents i.e. work or study permits
- Military Family ID card (MFID)
- Record of Landing for Citizenship Applicant
- Certificate of Live Birth
- Nexus card
- *SIN cards will not be accepted as ID
It is recommended that applicants bring with them a letter or file number from the requesting source, if applicable
All identification must be current and not expired.
Our experienced staff will be happy to assist you and answer any questions you may have.
Processing time for in person office visit for a criminal record check:
Criminal record checks using name and date of birth are submitted through a direct connection to our police partner and are processed in 1-2 business days.